I grew up in a big family.... 8 to be specific. With 8 people in a family there was a lot of shouting, hot water stealing, fighting over shot-gun, and figuring out phone usage. Not that we fought a lot, but it was survival of the fittest and believe me... we use to have 9 in our family :) So in this eat or be eaten family (I mean that in the most loving way) we didn't always cross paths. With kids ranging from 18-5 years in age, we didn't all have the same interest and so many of us were gone with softball, piano practise, church activities, jobs, and dates.
My parents wanted to make sure that we all didn't loose touch with our family and the importance of it. They made sure that one night a week was set aside for the family, always the same night so we could never forget. That one night was spent playing games, watching movies, teaching us about our heritage, or teaching us important lessons. And those nights are some of the best memories I have of my family.
These days all of our lives are filled with soooo much that it is easy to forget family... to get wrapped up in work, school, friends.... all nice and important things, but family is something that should never be pushed aside or placed second. So that is why I have created Family Moment Monday were people can come and post ideas they have to help spend good quality time as a family; good suggestions for movies, game, activities, and even lessons/skills that as parents we can teach our children.
So for this Thursday Thirteen I am posting 13 Reasons Why We Should Participate in Family Moment Monday - FMM
- A great way to find activities and ideas that you can do as a family
- Helps you to take time out of your schedule to look at your family and think about what they need in a less material way and a more physiological/emotional way.
- This will help your kids see and understand the important you place on family.
- Cheaper to do Family Moment Monday than sending them to therapy :)
- Can help other parents out by sharing how you taught your kids about safety, fiances, dating... or any other lessons that are important to share with your children. By posting how you did it in a successful way, other parents can see how they can do it.
- These activities will help your children feel close to you and their other siblings. It will make it easier for them to come to family members if they ever need help or answers.
- Because if your kids don't like family time, you can then use it as a form of punishment.
- We all know it is important to set time aside as a married couple, go out on dates, and have alone time. So why wouldn't it also be important to set aside time for the family to reconnect.
- You never know... it could look good on your kids college applications. :)
- Setting this time aside will show your children that you want to spend time with them and that they are important to you.
- Because it is never to late OR to early to start spending time as a family.
So, if you want to participate then join in every Monday and link up. Just post your ideas on your blog and then come over and post your link here. Please just remember to have a link in your post to Motherhood For Dummies so others can join and know where to go. Looking forward to seeing you all.