A survival guide to everyday motherhood



About Me

My photo
I am a photography fanatic. I love taking pictures, tweaking pictures, and finding the beauty in every day items

Monday, August 4, 2008

Children Play Castle Craft

How many times have you had this situation happen? Nature calls, so you walk into the bathroom. You sit down, do your... um... business, turn to grab toilet paper and NADA! NOTHING... ZILCH! Nothing but that empty toilet paper roll hanging there just staring at you, with nothing but a few scraps still stuck. I hate those stupid rolls and in this house.... we have this situation happen a lot. I have actually heard myths that if a toilet paper roll actually gets changed in this house, that it is a sign that the four horsemen of the apocalypse are coming.

But have no more hatred for those rolls, for they didn't do anything to you (it was the person before you, that you are mad at), but save those rolls and use them for something good, like a play castle for your kids. All you need is a few things like...

Some toilet paper rolls
A box
Paint
Brushes
Glue

With these few items your kids can sit down and paint/glue/cut themselves a fun castle. They can get into it as much as they want. Make a draw bridge, windows, paint brick by brick, make furniture, even a moat. This will probably only cost a whopping 4 bucks or so. Just enough to buy some paints and sponge brushes. The kids will have their afternoons busy trying to build their castles so then you will have your afternoon free for, um... lets say... blogging? :)

21 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! How creative are you! And your little princess isn't even big enough to know what a castle is yet! I'm so impressed and am giving you a big round of applause from the other side of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have made this and my girls just loved the castle. On some website you can even print out pricesses and princes and witches to go along with the castle. You color them and glue the characters to toilet paper rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this craft. I am so going to do this just as soon as we go through enough toilet paper to make the towers; probably half a day...just kidding.;). I will probably have more fun with this craft than my little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We actually did this a few weeks ago. Each kid made a small castle. The Queen appropriately enough still has hers displayed proudly in her room. De(structo)Boy dismantled his almost as soon as he finished it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a cool idea!!! I love all of these craft ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. going to look for a box now...

    it's supposed to rain all day.

    looks like we will be making a castle :)

    thanks friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute! How old is your daughter? Is she making these things with you? I would love to know so that I can start some of these fun projects when my son reaches the age to enjoy making such crafts!!! As usual, GOOD STUFF!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How adorable! I love that you have your (I mean Lucy's *wink*)Pretty Ponies and a Little People lion already moved in! ;o) Cute idea...I'll start saving my toilet paper rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh YEAH! That's what I did with recyclables in Utah. Then I moved to Oregon and suddenly recyclables HAD to go into the recycle bin. Okay. My kids need to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute Blog, M4Dummies! I wish you all the luck~ You are right about everything you learned so far. Diapers are too much for dad's, poop finds its way out of anywhere and You time is What again? You seem to have a handle on things... and I know that the Blog helps! Good Luck. Thanks for your comment,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute my girls will love this!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute! Although I'm sure my boys would insist I paint it black or at the very least, blue. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so cute! I know my little ones will like that one! And we have plenty of THOSE rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is just so....darn....creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it, I have somewhere in my archives I post I did about creating a cardboard boat for Ariel and Prince Eric complete with toothpick accessories. The things we do for (with) our kids!

    Great castle!

    ReplyDelete
  16. AHEM! You are a winner! Please come on over to my blog and check it out...

    ReplyDelete
  17. That photo of you on your profile post is hilarious! Cute idea and it looks wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think we go through a roll a day around here (thanks to a husband and three TP wasting little monkies), so we could certainly create a very elaborate castle. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a cute idea!! in my house we use them for brief time as a telescope. and that's it. or maybe a weapon.

    ReplyDelete