A survival guide to everyday motherhood



About Me

My photo
I am a photography fanatic. I love taking pictures, tweaking pictures, and finding the beauty in every day items

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Cornish Game Hens

I truly understand the meaning of, "slice of Heaven" now. This weekend my sister came into town and I wanted to do a nice fancy dinner for her.... so I went out and purchased some Cornish Game Hens. For all of you out there that don't know what those are, they are tiny little personal sized chickens that they sell whole. You can usually get them for about $2-$3 a piece.
.
I have never personally cooked them before, so I was a little nervous that they would turn out okay... and guess what!?!! They were FREAKIN' FANTASTIC! Not only were they uber tasty, but looked fancy and really made the evening fun. All you need is...
Cornish Game Hens
Bottle of marinating sauce (you can choose whatever flavor you like)
Vegetables to bake with
.
The hens come with instructions on the wrapping, so whatever your instructions say... follow those. The day before you are planning the dinner, simply place the marinating sauce (I used a lemon pepper garlic) and the hens into a plastic zip lock bag and let them marinate till you are ready to cook them.
.
Place the hens in a roast pan or baking pan, place the marinating sauce from the bag in as well, and don't forget your veggies like potatoes, carrots, and onions. Feel free to throw in whatever you like. Follow the oven degrees and time your wrapping says... and there you have it.... a super fancy dinner for a cheap price and no work.
.
This is one of the easiest meals I have made and definitely the fanciest and one of the tastiest! So honesty, how can you NOT want to try this :)

10 comments:

  1. They do look a little intimidating. Nice to know they are easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had those in years but love them. I guess I kinda forgot about them! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those were one of my favorite "fancy" meals to make before I turned vegan . . . I'm still looking for replacement recipes. Tofurkey just isn't the same :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have slight issues with picking meat off the bones, so I honestly buy boneless/skinless as much as humanly possible. I'm not sure I could eat this meal. I know, I'm a weird-o, but I think it would have to be picked off the bones for me and placed nicely on my plate, with the bones far from my sight.

    HOWEVER, I love how easy the meal sounds, and I think my kids would get a kick out of seeing teeny chickens for dinner. I'm sure my hubby would enjoy them. I may have to suck it up and give them a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make it sound so simple - but I'm still scared!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea they were so simple. Good for you for being adventurous. Is there much meat on them? They do look festive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely idea! I always enjoy a quick yet elegant meal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to try this - our Aldi's used to carry them, wonder if they still do?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know you inspired me--I put these on the menu when I read this and bought them on Wednesday and now they're on the menu for Sunday's dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Hubby loves Cornish Game Hens ;)he is the "official hen chef" he usually cuts them in half and marinates them.We mostly have them for christmas dinner.

    ReplyDelete