FAMILY MOMENT MONDAY
What kid doesn't love making a good ol' fashion tie-dye t-shirt? Even though they may not be the fashion icon of the year, you have to admit that they are still entertaining to make. All you need is...
Shirts, onesies, aprons, boxers, or sleeper (anything 100% cotton to dye)
1. First make sure that surfaces and children are covered or you will get a matching dinning room for your shirts.
2. Fill tubs and mix the fabric dye according to the instructions on the box (you can find fabric dye at most craft stores) . Add a cup of salt to help enhance the color of the dye. Shhh... that's a secret :)
3. Take the rubber bands and start twisting and tying off ends and pieces of the shirt in a fun funky pattern. You can even draw out patterns as a guide on your shirts with colored chalk, because it will wash off in the dye. I have some links for tie dying patterns here, if you are looking for Bulls-Eye, the V-Neck, Spiral, or Stripes.
4. Dip your shirt first in hot water then really wring it out. Now you can soak it in the dye tub. Make sure to move it around a lot to get all sides of the shirt. It can take 10-30 mins, totally depends on how groovy of a color you are going for.
5. When you have the color or colors that you want on your shirt, rinse it under warm water and gradually turn the water cooler and cooler. Do this until the water starts to rinse clear.
6. Wear and enjoy as the hip chic family that you are.... all you need is a yellow submarine now. Also make sure that when you wash them for the first time, wash them alone in warm water, rinse in cold, then dry.
If you want to make this whole funk-a-delish processes as easy as possible you can find Tie Dying Kits at Joanns or Target for around $10.00. So go crazy, have some fun, and spread the looove. Get the family together and make some matching tie-dye shirts. They can be some fun PJ shirts, shirts to wear on camping trips together, or your special family night shirts when you all get together and play games. Whether you wear them or not, they will be fun to make and a memory to remember.
Please remember to add your link only if you are participating in Family Moment Monday. Family Moment Monday consists of people who are sharing crafts, activities, lessons, ideas, service projects or anything else that you can learn/do/enjoy as a family in your post. Please remember to link back to Motherhood For Dummies, so others can learn about F.M.M. and participate too.