A survival guide to everyday motherhood



About Me

My photo
I am a photography fanatic. I love taking pictures, tweaking pictures, and finding the beauty in every day items

Monday, November 10, 2008

Diversity Night

FAMILY MOMENT MONDAY
Wow, airplanes and baby... I have figured out that they do NOT mix.... well... they don't mix well :) Thank goodness we have a nice pit stop in Vegas before continuing on to Chile, because Lucy was in need of a break... I should probably say that Curtis and I were in need of a break. With our vacation on my mind I thought a great idea for a family night could be a culture night and I don't mean which fork is the salad fork culture night, but a fun country/ethnic night.

Have your family vote on a culture or country that you all find interesting then devote a night to that. For example, lets say your family votes on Hawaii, then go and do some research... find some clothes, foods, games, or traditions that are common and do them.

It can be a serious activity for your family where the kids learn about different cultures and tradtions OR a fun silly night where the family dresses in Hawaiian shirts and grass skirts drinking out of coconuts and watching Lilo and Stitch. Either way it will be fun and either way you are together as a family.

Please remember to add your link only if you are participating in Family Moment Monday. Family Moment Monday consists of people who are sharing crafts, activities, lessons, ideas, service projects or anything else that you can learn/do/enjoy as a family in your post. Please remember to link back to Motherhood For Dummies, so others can learn about F.M.M. and participate too.

11 comments:

  1. Great idea. I love those kind of activities. We actually have done something like that before but not for a while. We'll have to make an effort to reinstate "culture night".

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea and everyone could stand a little more diversity in their lives. Living overseas as we do I can't tell you how often we hear "well, in America they don't do it like this" or "it's so different from America." Um, duh, not so much America!!

    Good luck with your trip. Take deep breaths.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like so much fun! Great idea to help kids understand diversity!
    Good luck with the next leg of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always say I am going to do this and still haven't! Maybe b/c the kids could never agree on one country! :-) It is a fun idea though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great idea! I definitely think I'll do this when the boys get a little older.

    Hope your trip is going well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great idea!! What a wonderful way to learn.....by doing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! This is also great for teaching your kids about your own heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I rented Lilo and Stitch on Friday and we have watched it SEVERAL times. I'm pretty sure if I announced this idea right now, Hawaii it would be!!!

    I may save it until they're older and can help with the research.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a cool idea. Do you miss me yet??

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea. I have a little trouble around here with hubby adapting to ANYTHING different. But you know I keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another great idea... But I thought you were supposed to be on vacation?? Anyway, thanks for sharing.. all of your Monday posts get me so excited for the future!!!

    ReplyDelete