A survival guide to everyday motherhood



About Me

My photo
I am a photography fanatic. I love taking pictures, tweaking pictures, and finding the beauty in every day items

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Kapusta Recipe

I am a huge fan of Polish food and I know that probably sounds weird... cause us Polish people are not known for our culinary abilities, but more lack of... um... whit. But hey... the Polish people should be proud because I think we are the only civilization that has ever made a solar powered flash light, inflatable dart boards, and ejector seats in a helicopters.

But all jokes aside, I truly love Polish food because it tends to have easy instructions, cheap ingredients, and tasty dishes. One of my favorite dishes to make is my Polish Cabbage Casserole, because it takes about 15mins to prepare and costs about $6 total..... honestly, how can you beat that?

So, here is another yummy recipe called Kapusta that some of you might be brave enough to try. All you need is...
  • 1 lb. Salt Pork (dice it)
  • 1 medium cabbage head, cored and shredded
  • 1 (16 oz) package medium egg noodles
  • ground black pepper to taste
1. Place the diced salt pork in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook until the fat has melted down and the meat is cooked.
2. Add the shredded cabbage with the salt pork and cook over medium-low heat until tender, stirring to coat the cabbage with the salt pork juices.
3. Meanwhile cook the egg noodles in a pot of water and drain. When the cabbage has cooked completely, stir the egg noodles in with the cabbage and season with black pepper for taste.

I know the recipe doesn't call for much and while cooking it you may doubt the outcome, but this dish is surprisingly tasty. My husband was a huge fan and couldn't get enough and I thought it was a fun dish especially when you are tired of the normal day to day stuff.

4 comments:

  1. I have to say, being Polish and Italian, growing up I loved to eat potica (pronounced Po-tet-sa, I know NOTHING like it's spelled)and the Polish ladies at the church bake sales were the BEST at making it!

    (check it out sometime, when done right it is moist and A.MAZ.ING!)

    Feisty

    ReplyDelete
  2. what is salt pork? this sounds so easy I want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, unfortunately you lost me at cabbage. Can't stand the stuff.;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salt Pork is just meat from a pig that has been salted and seasoned and cured (i don't know how to spell that) it is actually really cheap... a pound cost me $3. It is the same kind of meat that bacon uses.

    ReplyDelete