A survival guide to everyday motherhood



About Me

My photo
I am a photography fanatic. I love taking pictures, tweaking pictures, and finding the beauty in every day items

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Double Chocolate Brownie Cake

I was looking for a yummy brownie dessert for my sweet toothed husband and stumbled across this tasty little dish. Not only it is really yummy, but not your common cake and super easy. All you need is...

1 (18.25 oz) package Devil's Food Cake mix
1 (3.9 oz) package Instant Pudding mix - make sure its the 3.9 oz box for desserts, there are several sizes offered at the stores and they are all Instant Pudding though.
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream (I used fat free)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
2 cup semisweet chocolate chips (I used butterscotch chips)

1. Preheat oven to 350* degrees and grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan. Make sure it is really well greased and such your cake wont come out... or in my case... it will rip in half and you will have to start all over again. Crappy for me... but my husband and daughter were waaaay happy to have 2 cakes :)

2. In a large bowl put cake mix and pudding mix together. Once they are mixed make a nice hole/well in the middle where you can put the eggs, sour cream, vegetable oil, and water. Beat on a loooow speed for a min. Scrape the sides and mix on medium speed for 4 mins. Now you can stir in the chocolate chips and pour into the bundt pan.

3. Bake in the oven for 50-60 mins, use a toothpick to see if the cake is done. The melted chocolate chips might make it seem like it isn't cooked, but use your judgment. Once cooked, take out and let cool. You will really need it to cool for a while cause the cake will settle and have a less chance of ripping.

4. Now the rest is up to you. You can use whatever sauce that you want to top your cake off. You can do anything as simple as canned frosting. Simply soften/melt the frosting and pour as much over the cake as you want. Or you can make a fudge sauce or a yummy carmel sauce. I used the canned frosting and topped that off with fresh cut strawberries.

This cake has endless possibilities. I have used different sauces and different cake mixes. I did a Yellow Cake with Chocolate frosting and butterscotch chips. I am going to try next a Confetti Cake mix with a strawberry sauce.

4 comments:

  1. My aunt introduced me to this recipe last year and it's SO good! And SO easy! I love it in the bundt cake mold. It's so much cuter! I usually just make it as a boring old sheet cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would probably cook better in a sheet pan, but I'm like you Jess, I like the pretty bundt pans :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! This looks so good... glad to see you posting again!! I'm impressed you made it again... I TOTALLY wouldn't have even bothered!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOOH I love recipes I am a collecting addict! I am totally trying this one thanks!

    ReplyDelete